Monday, February 17, 2014

Free Of Them Just Free of Them

Last year was, beyond compare, the worst year of my life.  I lost the two people I was closest to, several other people I was very close to and had serious health problems, leading to loss of work that I couldn't afford to lose.  The several blog brawls I've been engaged in, testing ideas I've had about why the left is a total failure at a time when the world needs a real and effective left, on top of my personal experience has led me to conclude that I've been wasting my time testing the failed ideological cults of the so-called left.

The so-called left, as it has generally been presented in the past century down till today, is as dead as the Marxists and other anti-democratic ideologies that were so foolishly allowed to dominate large parts of it.   It is dead, it has not risen from the dead in the past thirty years, it will not rise from the dead.  It hasn't even with the wild pendulum swing to the right, that old make-believe dialectic hasn't swung back.  There is no dialectic, it was all make-believe.

Those anti-democratic ideologies, all of them materialist ideologies, dominated and wasted the time and meager resources and the sacred honor of the left.   They had no legitimate claim on those, they used the tales of their victimization by J. Edgar Hoover, Joseph McCarthy, etc. to gull the left into destroying itself on their behalf.  I will say in passing that I am really angry with the credibility wasted on such things as the Rosenbergs, sold to and by the left as innocent martyrs in ten-thousand rehashings of their case, only to find out that Julius Rosenberg, certainly and Ethel Rosenberg almost certainly were, indeed, atomic spies for Stalin.  The time and loss of credibility for the left, claiming their total innocence would have been better spent on opposing the death penalty, the only real wrong done to them.

I resent that the left wasted its credibility for people who were supporting and even acting as agents of one of the most brutal dictators of all time, a man in the running for the honor of being greatest mass murderer of all time.  His competition for that title including Mao, another enormous waste of the left's time, resources and credibility.   The leftists who excused the murder of victims of "scientific materialism" deserve to join their murderers on the scrap heap of history just as surely as the fans of Hitler and the supporters of any fascist dictators.   They don't constitute any part of a left that will present a real and credible alternative to the corporate oligarchs or the fascists, their depravity is just of a slightly different flavor.

The time wasted on those anti-liberal ideological cults would have been better spent on the concerns of millions of people who had the legitimate claim to our attention, poor, oppressed people.   We squandered our time on the pipe dreams and lies of academics and people in the scribbling class because it was easier and it was more pleasant to associate with them than with the underclass.  Catholic Worker, Maryknoll and other religious groups have entirely more credibility than the pseudo-left because they actually did the work of the real left instead of holding seminars and conferences.

I'm not bothering with the pseudo-left anymore, I'm not arguing with them, I'm not going to test my ideas against theirs.  The historical results of the alternative to the religious left are in, they are there to evaluate, they present the real results of those ideologies in practice, anyone who expects that anything but the 100% record of bloody, dictatorial government will come from materialism, either the vulgar right wing kind or materialism dressed up in academic drag, is psychotic. They are hoping that repeating it will have different results after some of the most grueling real life trials ever provided by history.   I've been convinced that is a waste of time and worse, counterproductive.  Life is short.

So, where to go from here?   Onward, always onward to the blessed community.

6 comments:

  1. It's something about how Judi Dench says it (of course!), the transcript doesn't do the moment justice. At the end of the film, the skeptical journalist confronts the evil nun (the symbol of all we hate about institutional Catholicism and the Magdalene Laundries, after sitting through Philomena's story), and Philomena rebuffs him. Their conversation on the point ends with this exchange (the high point of the film, IMHO):

    Philomena: But I don't wanna hate people. I don't wanna be like you. Look at you.
    Martin Sixsmith: I'm angry.
    Philomena: Must be exhausting.

    I lead with that, before going back to pick out a few words here I especially want to highlight:

    It hasn't even with the wild pendulum swing to the right, that old make-believe dialectic hasn't swung back. There is no dialectic, it was all make-believe.

    Thomas Frank made somewhat the same point (it must have been at Salon) recently, arguing the Democrats' only hope is not to wait out the demographic decline of the GOP (old people, white people v. rising "minority" populations), but to go left and reach for the populism of Elizabeth Warren (although he never mentions her by name). But it won't happen precisely because, as you say, there is no dialectic.

    Frankly, Kierkegaard used dialectic to destroy dialectic some 150 years ago (or rather, to prove it was illusory); just as he used irony to destroy the power of irony (again, to prove it was illusory). But we (in Western culture/philosophy) are so involved in what those illusions have produced, we still don't see what he was getting at (I'm reading an otherwise good book on Kierkegaard and Wittgenstein which is spending too much time arguing wrongly about what S.K. really meant. It's a bit frustrating. But I mention it because....)

    I'm not bothering with the pseudo-left anymore, I'm not arguing with them, I'm not going to test my ideas against theirs.

    I spent a long time on two bootless pursuits: 1) the idea that opposition would always produce, dialectically, a better result; and 2) the idea that my opposition would prove, in the end, worthwhile.

    Took a brief turn in parish ministry to make me give up on both of those, and a long time in the wilderness (Hello! Ready to come out, now! Of the wilderness, I mean!) to realize I had lost nothing and gained everything by not defining myself against everyone else.

    Which means its about time I quit worrying about atheists, too. They really aren't clever, and they really aren't important. I'm not going to build the blessed community by making sure I point out how wrong other people are, and you only have opposition because you make opposition. That, I more and more conclude, is the real message of the crucifixion: not life after death and let us rush for the holy martyrdom, but if you are opposed to something, rather than actively for something, you've failed, and your death is just another hole in the water.

    And we can do better than that, considering we're going to die anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to confess to having read little Wittgenstein and less Kierkegaard but will try to remedy that after I can handle his famous gloom. Really couldn't handle it right now. I think I'll try doing something concrete, something that will make the kingdom more visible. The alternative is making the beloved community more of a reality instead of blog brawling. I've been wasting more time than just what I wasted at Baby Blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I notice the first reading at Catholic mass today is the beginning of the Epistle of James. I didn't go to look before I posted this, it seems appropriate.

      Delete
    2. Ah, made me read: "If anyone thinks he is religious but does not bridle his tongue, he is deceiving himself; that man's religion is futile. A pure and faultless religion in the sight of God the Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in trouble and to keep oneself untarnished by the world." (James 1: 26-27, REB)

      I've got some catching up to do.

      Delete
  3. Catholic Worker, Maryknoll and other religious groups have entirely more credibility than the pseudo-left because they actually did the work of the real left instead of holding seminars and conferences.

    Um, hello? You forgot all the furious tweeting and petition signing. That has been rather effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to confess to having read little Wittgenstein and less Kierkegaard but will try to remedy that after I can handle his famous gloom.

    I like the former more that the latter--not just bc of his thought but also his personal story--but SK isn't bad for a Dane.

    ReplyDelete