Sunday, April 6, 2014

Mixed Feelings: Will Atheists Hate Ehrenreich's Memoir?

This morning, I happened across an odd sight, several of what I will call the asshole type of blog atheists mocking another atheist who I would not describe that way, Barbara Ehrenreich.   It seems that in her early 70s, Ehrenreich has written a book about her life and experience, a memoir.

"It seems very self-involved," she says by phone from her home in Arlington, Va. "I have anxiety about it." That anxiety is heightened at the moment because her new book, "Living With a Wild God: A Nonbeliever's Search for the Truth About Everything" (Twelve: 240 pp., $26), is as personal a piece of writing as she has ever done, built around a journal from her teenage years that traces both a spiritual quest and a youthful mystical experience, each having to do with "an impression of intention" — the sense that there is some underlying shape or meaning to the universe.

I haven't read the book and probably won't, but if that description is accurate,  Ehrenreich has cunningly pushed a lot of hot buttons, writing a book that is likely to catch fire in the near apostasy of one of the more prominent atheists with more credibility than most of the big names and little minds who regularly get asked on Fresh Air to peddle bilge.   Ehrenreich is a skilled and experienced journalist who has had best sellers and she is cagey enough to know the sales potential of doing that.   She's no one's fool on that count.

Of course she has not given up her atheism but she, as a PhD scientist as well as an ideological and, at times, obnoxious atheist, certainly realizes anything that smacks of teleology, of purposefulness in the universe will piss off a lot of atheists just as her frontier bar room savant style atheism will piss off the pious.   AND DON'T FORGET THAT EYE CATCHING TITLE.

"[W]hat do you do with something like this — an experience so anomalous, so disconnected from the normal life you share with other people," Ehrenreich asks in the foreword to the book, "that you can't even figure out how to talk about it?" Such a conundrum drives "Living With a Wild God," which is part personal history and part spiritual inquiry.

That is hardly the only thing that earned her the tongue lashing from those atheist assholes.  She is clearly out to provoke them as much as she has religious people in the past:

And yet, she says simply of the revelation or epiphany she underwent as a high school student, "I couldn't put it out of my life." In the book, she explains in more detail: "[T]he world flamed into life. How else to describe it? There were no visions, no prophetic voices or visits by totemic animals, just this blazing everywhere. Something poured into me and I poured out into it. This was not the passive beatific merger with 'the All,' as promised by the Eastern mystics. It was a furious encounter with a living substance that was coming at me through all things at once, and one reason for the terrible wordlessness of the experience is that you cannot observe fire really closely without becoming part of it."
If such an account seems more than a little amorphous — how can it not? — that's one of the difficulties Ehrenreich faced in "Living With a Wild God." "How do you write about something you can't communicate?" she asks, voice rising as if to echo the impossibility of the task. "I felt both uplifted and shattered. A few months later, I concluded it had been a bout of mental illness. It was the only rational explanation. But I kept asking questions in the journal: 'How do I get back to that level of awareness?' Reality seemed so mundane and deadly afterward."

A famous atheist pushing woo, no?  And transcendent experience?  Worrying that her experience was a sign of mental illness?  I would note, that is a price for being that style of atheist when you have an experience that doesn't go along with the ideological program, religious folks would have an easier time rolling with it.

The frequently encountered atheist canard that religious people merely believe what they were taught to believe by their religious parents is never applied by atheists to the atheism of  birthright atheists.  That Ehrenreich is one has been something she has crowed about for decades.

Part of the disconnect, Ehrenreich suggests, involved her atheism, which remains a proud piece of her heritage. "I was born to atheism," she writes, "and raised in it, by people who had derived their own atheism from a proud tradition of working-class rejection of authority in all its forms, whether vested in bosses or priests, gods or demons. This is what defined my people: We did not believe, and what this meant, when I started on my path of metaphysical questioning, was that there were no ready answers at hand."

I would expect that one of the signs of a free thinking teenage and adult is the questioning of your parents and grandparents conventions and beliefs but atheists don't seem to do that as often as religious people seem to.

While I greatly admired several of Ehrenreich's books, especially her most well know, Nickled and Dimed (which, ironically, I would guess is largely read by people in church book groups, these days)  my feelings about her and her writing are mixed.  I admire her journalism, I don't find her especially honest outside of it. And I think she can be entirely blind to the faults of her atheist ideology, she greatly admired the entirely unadmirable Madelyn Murray O'Hair, mistaking that abusive, vicious, money grubbing, degenerate, capitalist huckster for some kind of leftist worthy of admiration.   I think perhaps that is something that was reinforced by the myopic understanding of science that scientists often have.

Such a distinction is important, for "Living With a Wild God" is not a book of faith. Educated as a scientist, trained as a reporter, Ehrenreich does not believe in what she cannot see. As such, she turns to philosophy, chemistry and physics; she traces the influence of her home life, which was dysfunctional (both parents were alcoholics) but encouraged asking questions and thinking for oneself.

In order to believe in large parts of chemistry, physics, biology, philosophy, you have to believe in what you can't see, no one has seen gravity, no one understands it, no one has seen a molecular bond.  Not to mention the invisibility of much of philosophy.   If that's your claim, that you only believe what you can see,  if that's what you practice, you can't believe much of science that is obviously true.  But materialists are really no better at looking, hard, at what it is they claim and what it is they believe.  And they refuse to acknowledge how much of what they hold is really the result of their conformity to their ideology and its coercive restrictions. I am pretty sure Ehrenreich knows those are there and I have every faith that Ehrenreich,  the journalist, would seem to deny that atheism is thoroughly dogmatic while she is making use of the dogmatism that the blog boys angrily accusing her of violating,  accusing her of believing in "woo",  of breaking the thought code and ban on expressing such ideas, breaking them in order to generate a hot topic, best seller.   Have I said that she's no fool when it comes to selling a book?


9 comments:

  1. There is an interview with Ehrenreich by Thomas Frank at Salon (where you can also find, if you look hard now, an article by a Muslim woman about her faith and science, and how to the two don't conflict. Good article, but the comments are the monkey house, with lots of poo being flung. The author of the article can't begin to be right, so nothing she says is given any consideration. I got so mad at the ignorance I called it out. I'm not going back to see what impact I had. Life's too short, and on-line atheists in comment threads are simply too ignorant. One might was well discuss quantum physics with 5 year olds.)

    The comments on the interview are interesting, too; the ones that don't diverge into a discussion about a commenter's personal experiences with the minimum wage (seriously. I give up on comment sections.). Most dismiss Ehrenreich's experience as simply brain chemistry. Which is replacing one explanation with another, each as grounded as either.

    I have a book, "The Presence of Absence" I think it is; a memoir of sorts of a non-believer who had an experience of what she thinks (let us be careful here) was God. Not one brought on by sleep deprivation or the other factors Ehrenreich mentions in the interview; just one that occurred as she sat on the front porch of her house for a few quiet moments.

    It shattered her. I keep it in mind next to Mother Teresa's statements at the end of her life that she hadn't had an experience of God in decades, and she felt abandoned. One of the commenters on the religion/science thread said only weak-minded people have religious faith, because they fear death. I told him he needed to get out more.

    I might as well have recited Japanese haiku to a chimpanzee. I'm tired of dealing with this profound ignorance that considers itself wise because it knows nothing. Even Ehrenreich makes me tired; give me Annie Dillard any day. She's much tougher minded than Ehrenreich ever thought of being, and her mysticism is much better informed.

    I'm going back to my books and my prayers and my meditations. The internet is a sandbox ruled by squabbling 6 year olds (present company excepted, of course. :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll read Ehrenreich on economic justice any day, about anything impinging on her atheism or religion, not so much. If I hadn't first read the atheist-boy bashing of her I don't think I'd have bothered looking into the book.

      I've been more and more disgusted with what passes as an intellectual presence on the internet. I see more evidence of a materialist dark age, though there are a few hopeful signs, Kipral's article gave me a boost.

      Delete
    2. I'll give you that on Ehrenreich; the economic justice questions. But frankly, I learned more about the topic from Biblical scholars in seminary.

      Ehrenreich, for my money, just scratches at the surface of everything, and for all her disavowals of "authority" (especially in the Frank interview), clearly sees herself and her experience as authoritative. In some ways she's a slightly more eloquent version of what I've encountered in on-line comments.

      And I'm tired of that.

      Delete
    3. Yes, what the Bible scholars have to say is more interesting because it is more real.

      I started having problems with her back a few decades ago in something in Mother Jones Magazine, back when I had a subscription. It was, indeed, a sort of precursor of the neo-atheist blog babble, vulgar, pointless, dishonest. Then I read Nickled and Dimed and, given its limitations - she could never reproduce the real fear and terror of that level of working poverty because she knew her stunt journalism was going to end - she did give some real insights into being working poor.

      Delete
    4. I first encountered the idea of God as a dangerous possibility in the writings of Annie Dillard. I think she said she got it from Judaism. I've since found it to be a very accurate picture, but I'm underwhelmed with the title of Ehrenreich's latest book. She doesn't even seem aware of this history of it, either via Jonathan Edwards or Jewish traditions.

      So I'm underwhelmed with her effort. She might at least have explored Xian mysticism, if only to critique it intelligently. That, of course, would have threatened the atheism she clings to has her birthright. Funny, I've still seen tougher critiques of cosseted thought in seminary than anywhere else in the world.

      Seminary wants to be sure you know who your "god" is, and why (as well as have some idea who "God" is). Most of the world simply want to leave to you affirm whatever "god" you choose. Maybe that's why the monkeys fling so much poo.

      Delete
  2. On your last paragraph: reading that religion v. science thread (the comments, I mean) at Salon, I was struck with the idea that if I could explain, say, the cosmological constant in the mathematics that deduced it (or, shall we say, formulated it?), would anyone on that thread understand me? No more than if I recited the opening lines of the Gospel of John in the original koine Greek. And why would they accept my Greek as the true words of the gospel? I mean, that the translation that is familiar is also the Greek of the original? How would they know?

    How do they know what physics says, except that physicists go on Science Friday and say so? Have they even seen the number in the equation that is the cosmological constant? Of course not.

    But it's true because the priests...er, physicists, say it is.

    Tell me again how retarded and benighted the "Dark Ages" were.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the typical blog atheist is as ignorant as the typical creationist might be and far more ignorant than many of them. They've got this short cut to enlightenment so they don't need to know what they're talkig about, they just know that eventually all they have to do is spout materialist drivel and, since materialism wins, man, that's covered no matter how unevidenced that is. Only the ignorant blog blatherers aren't alone in that, it is, without exaggeration, the standard operating procedure for materialists of the most intellectual type as well.

      I'm tired of putting up with them.

      Delete
    2. I was challenged to make an argument at Salon, on that religion v. science thread. I declined, pointing out my interlocutors had no knowledge of Kierkegaard, Derrida, Bultmann, Wittgenstein, or even Krister Stendahl, much less Augustine or Aquinas. How do you have an argument with people as ignorant as 5 year olds? And proud of their ignorance?

      I didn't even bother to mention Russell's essay on why he is not a Christian doesn't speak of "invisible sky daddies" or "FSM's," and yet he makes a better case than any one I've read on-line (not good, but better). How can you even discuss the impact of Augustine on Western thought with people who a) don't know Augustine at all and b) think he must have been a nut, since he was a Bishop.

      I mentioned Mendel and Le Maitre and S.K., and a reply came back that religion "creeps" into everything, even into the minds of supposedly "smart" people. That isn't thought, it's reflex. It's spasm. You can't talk to people that benighted; you have to just leave them to their ignorance.

      I'd have to educate them just to get them to a level where they could pose a decent question. And it's not because I'm so clever; it's because they are so ignorant. I told them so; that the word was descriptive in that context, not pejorative.

      I have no doubt the entire monkey house was filled with screaming and flung poo after that. I didn't go back to find out.

      Delete
    3. Religion "creeps" into everything. Sounds like one of those old movie shorts made to warn teenagers against things like the evils of masturbation and how easliy it was to let total depravity starting with something like that.

      Your insight into the motive of places like Salon and Alternet, posting click bait to run up their hit rates, is the best explanation I've seen, it is not that the quality of those meets any kind of acceptable level of sophistication or importance.

      Delete