Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Someone Asks What Those Songs Mean

I don't speak Cape Verdean Portuguese and I don't have my brother's copy of the the great Cesaria Evora's CD which had translations.  That was the disc I listened to them on while I was waiting for word that my niece was born.  I did find some of them translated into French online so here's my attempt to translate the first of them,  Tudo Tem Se Limite, Everything has a limit, which was especially appropriate for that memory.


Your father was not a stoker,
Nor a charcoal maker,
Not a sailor or a boatman,
A carpenter or a mason,
A baker or a fisherman.
Or, even less so, a day laborer.
You have never known hardship,
Poverty was always a story to you,
You never fought for freedom,
So tell me who you think you are
To judge the reality of our country.

Humble Christians keep silent
And justice for the people is always without voice.
From where you come from,
You insult and mock even God
But under heaven there's a limit to everything.
Your power is not infinite,
Here is Cape Verde.

No comments:

Post a Comment