Monday, November 24, 2014

The Number of Accusers = x such that x equals infinity?

So, during my lunch hour when I should be eating something I look on Salon and I find this:

New Bill Cosby accuser: “We may be looking at America’s greatest serial rapist”
Former model Jewel Allison is the latest woman to accuse the comedian of sexually assaulting her

and I ask myself how, with the number of women who are making these accusations that he molested or raped them increase - all those I've read when the women were adults - how it is plausible that he covered it up this long?   The longer this goes on, oddly, the more trouble I'm having with it, in total.  There might be something to some of them but I doubt they could all be telling the entire truth.

Really?  "America's greatest serial rapist"?  In show biz where the casting couch is as common as bad grammar and potboiler plot lines?   That would be "potboiler" as in junk produced to have something to sell without consideration of quality or truth.

As I said, the online blog gossip and electronic tabloids are no place to find the truth.  I'm finding I have ever more respect for the ideals of the justice system, though not, necessarily, its actual practice of doing justice.

Update:  I'd need there to be at least one criminal accusation, leading to one indictment, one prosecution with one conviction of this one person before I would lay on him even the guilt for one rape.  Certainly at least two such convictions would be the minimal requirement before he was believed to be guilty of being America's greatest serial rapist.  Never mind laying on him the collective guilt for every rape that ever happened or was alleged.  About which, more tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. But if you don't agree he's the worst monster ever to live in America, then you're covering up for a rapist.

    Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The presumption of innocence = enabling Ted Bundy, or something. That would seem to be the presumption of the "reality community" side of the internet.

    I blame TV were everything gets all wrapped up, neat and tidy in either 30 or 60 minutes. People can't live with not believing that they know when they don't know it anymore.

    ReplyDelete