Sunday, July 5, 2015

Is This My Most Daring Crime Yet?

Apparently there has been a furious 2 Minutes Week Hate going on over the suggestion of putting pureed peas in guacamole.  I hadn't been aware of it until I saw Echidne had posted on it with links.  Apparently many 1st worlders have been up in arms, or at least fingers on the issue and have been carrying on peed off about peas for days.  

I could have added some practical advice, having found a recipe in one of Dean Ornish's books for low-fat guacamole using frozen peas.  A lot cheaper than using avocados too.  So, I happened to need a quick thing to bring to a family pot luck a few years back and I made it.  I didn't tell anyone how it was made and it passed off as guacamole quite successfully.   No one flipped out when I told them.  Here's what I think is the recipe I used on that occasion.

GREEN PEA GUACAMOLE

3 C. green peas, fresh or frozen

2 T lemon juice

1 C. red onions

2 tsp freshly minced garlic

1 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1/8 tsp cayenne

Salt

Steam the peas if fresh. Do not overcook. They should still have their bright green color. If using frozen peas, just defrost them. (I blanched them) 

Puree the peas in a blender or food processor (I used a hand cranked food mill) with the lemon juice, onion, garlic, cumin and black pepper. Add cayenne and salt to taste.

Refrigerate 

I'm pretty sure I probably added more garlic and probably more seasoning, probably threw in a few other things too, though I don't remember.  

I'm really counting on being condemned and vilified over this post.  I'll be very disappointed if I'm not.   Go ahead, do your worst.  That just means the more for the rest of us. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, that's it. This time you've gone too far. I shan't return to this blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't checked the play pen to see if it was mentioned. It's the kind of thing that would get someone declared unclean with the cooties by the kewl kids.

    But, it's July 6 and back to more serious things.

    ReplyDelete