Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Aaron Copland - Sonata for Violin and Piano


Ruth Posselt, violin
Aaron Copland, piano

The Youtube says this is the world premier of the Sonata from 1944, recorded on-air by WNYC.

It is a fascinating performance, I think far better than the one Copland recorded with Isaac Stern in the 1960s.  Ruth Posselt played with a far sweeter tone than Stern who doesn't seem nearly as committed to the piece as she did.   Though I love the recording that the great violinst Peter Zazofsky and the pianist Paul Posnak recorded on Naxos, this is a very special performance.  I didn't know about it until about half an hour ago.  The middle movement is one of the few pieces that brings tears to my eyes whenever I hear it.  The tempo changes in the third movement are handled beautifully and not exactly as I've ever heard them before.   While I'll never have the opportunity to play it again, this would inform what I did if I did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment