Friday, November 27, 2015

Post Thanksgiving Missed Media Turkey of a Scandal

I am surprised someone hasn't turned a major misstatement of fact by Barack Obama in public into a major scandal.   During the hokey turkey pardoning, President Obama stated as a known fact that turkeys can't fly.  Well, that's simply not the truth.  They actually fly rather well.  Early in the fall, as I didn't see a large flock of turkeys hiding in the tall grass, when they all at once took off in flight, going right over me to the woods about a two hundred feet behind me, it almost stopped my heart.  It was a truly inspirational experience.  

The Obama daughters who made a rare appearance seem to be turning into fine young people with a good sense of humor.  I wish my mother was here to see them.   During the 2008 campaign, when the likes of Limbaugh started commenting on them I think she'd have slapped his face if she could.  She felt fiercely protective of those girls.  That's one thing the Obamas did right, shielding their children from the media.   I hope they do great things, better things.

3 comments:

  1. "With God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"--Greatest quote from the late, lamented "WKRP in Cincinnati."

    Domesticated turkeys raised to be Butterballs can't fly. That story was based on a true event in Dallas, IIRC; as a promotion, live turkeys were pushed out of a helicopter, where they flew like Butterballs straight into the ground.

    The wild turkey is much more aerodynamic, of course. But I understand the domesticated ones are too dumb to come in out of the rain.

    Then again, maybe it's all urban legends. I have no expertise on turkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild turkeys can fly about 35mph. It's pretty cool to see.

    ReplyDelete