Friday, December 11, 2015

Mikołaj Zieleński - Magnificat a 12


Last year this time I was posting dozens of settings of the Magnificat, most of which I'd never heard before, some from composers I'd never heard before.  This one by Mikołaj Zieleński was one of those, I don't know why I'd never encountered him before, he was clearly a master composer of the late 16th and early 17th centuries.  The piece is for three choruses of four parts distributed -SATT.ATTB.TTBB.  With only one of Sopranos and two Altos and three bases, that leaves half of the parts in the tenor range.  The effect is fascinating.   He also wrote a fascinating setting of Vox in Rama that I will try to remember to post on the appropriate day.   He is clearly well remembered in Poland, from the Youtubes of performances, he should be better known here.

Score

No comments:

Post a Comment