Thursday, January 14, 2016

Let's Have A Religious Fight Over Widows and Orphans and Refugees

Republicans are upset that Barack Obama used a very few of the very many words in the Bible that condemn their policies and campaign slogans.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday morning in the Philippines, Obama scoffed at attempts to block refugees following the Paris terror attacks as "political posturing" that "needs to stop."

"Apparently they are scared of widows and orphans coming into the United States of America," Obama said of Republicans. "At first, they were too scared of the press being too tough on them in the debates. Now they are scared of three year old orphans. That doesn’t seem so tough to me."

T
he phrase that has them upset is "widows and orphans", people who are frequently mentioned together in The Bible as those to whom equal justice and charity are due.  But they aren't the only ones included in those formulas.  If you look at the book of Deuteronomy, in that favorite translation of right wingers, the formula includes exactly those who Barack Obama referred to,  For example:

Cursed be he that perverteth the judgment of the stranger, fatherless, and widow. And all the people shall say , Amen.  Deuteronomy 27:19

Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow's raiment to pledge: But thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in Egypt, and the Lord thy God redeemed thee thence: therefore I command thee to do this thing.  Deuteronomy 24:17-18

That formula, "the stranger, the fatherless, the widow" appears over and over in that book of Law. If there is any perversion of the judgement of the stranger, the widow, the orphan, of the denial of justice to them in American society, it's the Republican right who are the embodiment of those policies.

I would encourage Barack Obama to be more explicit in his citations of The Bible to support his policies in these areas, giving chapter and verse, consulting with experts who would be able to advise him on that.  As he has reportedly read Marilynne Robinson, she's noted that in detail in a number of her essays.  Unlike so many of the favorite passages used by Republicans, the ones mandating justice to aliens, orphans, widows, poor people, oppressed people aren't really ambiguous at all and the entire range of Republicans and the people who support them are in the most obvious violation of them.   And they are in line with the best of what America is supposed to be, they would be because in the past they are what inspired people to push for changes in American law, making it more equal, more just.

If he's afraid of pissing off those who hate The Bible, well, that's no reason not to do it.  They shouldn't have a veto over that.   They've had a de facto veto on that in liberal politics for the past fifty years and the results have included the Republicans being worse than any time during our lifetimes and controlling the House, Senate and Supreme Courts as well as many state governments. Atheist and anti-religious speech codes have been given the test of time and they have failed in exactly the same way that the idiotic "more speech" nonsense has failed in the only way that matters, in producing government of, by and FOR The People.  It has failed entirely.

I would encourage both Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders to do the same in their political campaigns.   There is no more potent material to draw on, none that will resonate more in American society.   It's what the Civil Rights movement drew on during the period of its success and strength, the descent into sociological and legal babble in the subsequent period might have made those spouting it feel superior and smug and very modern and sciency but it is impotent in electoral politics.  If atheists don't like it, we owe them equal rights, we don't owe them political failure.  We don't and never did owe them censorship of our political language.

We did a lot better when our politicians weren't afraid to say those kinds of things explicitly.  I doubt we can ever recover from the nearly half-century of  giving up that source of American liberalism until we feed it from the source it sprang from.

36 comments:

  1. Hey Sparky -- in case you missed it, the BBC just had eleven mostly interesting contemporary musicians recreate the session that produced the Beatles first album in real time in the original studio.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9u3Ma9k0O8

    The bottom line being that, while you weren't paying attention, rock has become repertory. Like classical and jazz.

    And the guy from Blur in the video has really got your number. "Anybody who doesn't like the Beatles is weird."
    -)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the BBC was way past its glory days but mounting a Beatles imitation band stunt? What next? A Dame Vera mouth syncing event?

      Delete
  2. Missed this one too. The Zombies "Odessey and Oracle" in its entirety on its 40th anniversary.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEj4bduFrjk

    You simple shithead.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, bunky, the secret is in knowing what to miss and I'm really good at picking what to miss. Otherwise I'd end up like the Church of LDE*, going over TV shows of the past, moldy movies, worn out pop crap, what they had for lunch and their most recent aches pains and urinary tract problems.

      Latter Day Eschatonians. The living dead come to life, as it were.

      Delete
  3. What a sad, emotionally stunted, joyless life you live, Sparky.

    I'd feel sorry for you if you hadn't brought it on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's time for you to go squeeze into your Barbara Streisand costume and lip sync in front of a mirror for a while. You'll feel more yourself if you're pretending to be someone else.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh, so who is it you're pretending to be? Don't tell me it's Judy Garland. I have to confess, I had my hands over my ears.

      "Jew baiting". If I were baiting you on the basis of identity it would be asshole baiting and, as you know, I don't do anal.

      Delete
  5. Well, you do anal retentive. Quite magnificently, I might add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad that massive twit, Oliver Sacks, never met you. He could have written another book, "The Man Who Mistook Everyone Else For Himself".

      Define "anal retentive".

      Delete
  6. Everything you've ever posted here.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I a. figured you didn't know what the term means, b. were too lazy to look it up so you could pretend to know what it meant c. would come back with something as lame as that.

      Really, you're the geezer who began this figuring you could make me feel ungroovy over what might be the stupidest BBC stunt ever, mounting their very own Beatles "tribute" band thing. If I were staging it I'd have them do something interesting like play something the mop heads never played to see what their fabulous faux could do with that task.

      Frankly, I'd watch that kid with the ocarinas and euphoniums on his worst day before I'd watch that stupid show. He's doing something new that hasn't been done to death.

      Everything about the Beatles that is worth hearing was said about them thirty years ago. Many times by that time.

      Delete
  7. Incidentally, Bryan Cranston just got nominated for the Best Actor Oscar for TRUMBO.

    Yet another Hollywood film glorifying the materialist atheists who destroyed the Left in this country. So of course you'll diss it without bothering to see it.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe I've commented on the movie, as such, just on what a massive hypocrite the real Dalton Trumbo and his supporters were and are. A man who championed one of the biggest mass murderers in history, a man who murdered tens of millions of people, oppressed and terrorized millions more, practiced slave labor on a massive scale, presented as a tragic hero because he got hauled before HUAC and couldn't get his name on the movies he wrote and got paid to write for a few years.

      "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." Now, where did I hear that? I wonder who said it? I can say when it comes to a movie script, you can substitute "complete lie" for "legend" and it still isn't strong enough. But wise guys like you will still call it history and biography.

      I couldn't care less if they gave him the Congressional Medal of Freedumb for it.

      I'll bet you think Crash is a better movie than that horse opera don't you. It got the Oscar, after all.

      Delete
  8. So you haven't seen TRUMBO, then?
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not interested in the least to see it. I don't want to watch anther movie about the black list if Zero Mostel isn't in it. And it has Woody Allen in it and I can't stand the sight of him, now.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and, you didn't answer the question about how much better you thought Crash was than Brokeback Mountain was. It must have been, it won the Oscar that year.

      Delete
  9. So you're objectively pro-HUAC? Why am I not surprised?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well, dearie, you see, I've got enough mental power so that I can despise both HUAC and Stalinism.

      I'll bet you'd be cheering on old Uncle Joe's Jewish Doctor's pogrom, in the very same years that "Trumbo" covers.

      As for where this began, here's what I'd imagine your BBC dream show would have been like.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1EMWQCmhXA

      Delete
  10. "I've got enough mental power so that I can despise both HUAC and Stalinism."

    Says the guy who can't tell the difference between Weather Report and Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Says the Simels who can't read what someone says if it has more nuance than book 2b of the Dick Jane and Sally series.

      Steve Simels really doesn't have a problem with a man who was a Stalinist even as Stalin was mounting his anti-Jewish pogrom, which, given his experience in mass murder, could have reached similar numbers as Hitler achieved if Stalin hadn't died in his own filth first.

      It really doesn't matter to me who did the killing and who they killed, I figure anyone who supports that kind of thing is scum.

      Delete
    2. Dalton Trumbo = as bad as a mad mass murderer.

      Right. Got it.

      Delete
    3. What you've got is a reading disorder.

      Delete
  11. BTW, what's your problem with Martin Gardner? I just re-read FADS AND FALLACIES IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE, and it's fucking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sure his shade will be all the more miserable in purgatory for knowing what a putz he's got for a fan.

      The case against Gardener is technical, as opposed to the case against Randi who was, like you, just a massive liar. So I wouldn't waste my time telling you about it.

      Delete
  12. BTW, I know you believe in telepathy, but do you also believe in telekinesis? If so, could you please raise my hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told you it was too technical for you. It involved math and logical deduction. I'd rather try to teach my terrier to play piano.

      Delete
  13. You couldn't do any worse than I'm sure you do with your human piano students. Assuming you actually have any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny you are when you have nothing to come back with. I don't mean that you're intentionally funny, when you try that you're just stale and boring.

      Delete
  14. I have a high threshold of boredom, but you're putting me to sleep, Sparky.

    Go fuck yourself and I'm outta here for a while.

    Or you could just ban me already. Lord knows, I've begged you.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I have a high threshold of boredom"

      Well, you're still one of the mainstays of Eschaton

      "you're putting me to sleep".

      Well, if I had a massive hypo of phenobarbital I'd be tempted to.

      "Go fuck yourself"

      I don't have your collection of sockpuppets.

      "you could ban me already"

      No, that would be too easy. And, as I pointed out, you're such a good idea of the bull shit that sank the real left.

      "I've begged you".

      Liar.

      Delete
  15. Oh, and BTW, here's something guaranteed to piss you off.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndh4tRKTXhM

    Orthodox Jews play the Beatles at a mall in Israel. Why aren't they in Arizona where they belong????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would that piss me off? Are they on occupied territory?

      I'd really rather listen to Two Live Jew, they're hillarious.

      Delete
  16. You like them? Now I'll never be able to play their CD again.

    ReplyDelete