Thursday, February 4, 2016

I'm Told That This News Is Supposed To Make Me Upset

"They just knighted Van Morrison"

They also knighted Ronald Reagan, in 1989.   Though he probably thought he was on a sound stage and expected to gun down a dragon with his six gun as he liberated a concentration camp. 

Update:  And I just looked it up, they also knighted George H.W. Bush, Don of the Bush Crime Family, in 1993.  

Update 2:  And this season's #1 favorite dead rocker, David Bowie turned down a knighthood. 

A few rock stars have been knighted, including Sir Paul McCartney, Sir Elton John and Sir Mick Jagger – much to the anger of his fellow Rolling Stone, Keith Richards, who felt that Jagger should have declined … like another of Sir Mick’s friends, David Bowie. Bowie turned down a knighthood in 2003. “I would never have any intention of accepting anything like that,” he said. “I seriously don't know what it's for. It's not what I spent my life working for.”

It's ever so much classier to have been offered the meaningless title and turned it down than to have allowed yourself to become a fixture in the stinking British class system. 

Update 3:  I don't think I'll ever be able to think of Steve Simels without thinking of  Hyacinth  Bucket from now on.  Who knew he was the kind of guy who was impressed with the Queen's Honors List.  He's just a star struck teeny-bopper at heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment