Thursday, March 31, 2016

Will Post Later

Maybe someday I will write about what is increasingly becoming obvious, my brother who is living with me is showing signs of dementia, a result of his liver disease which is a result of his alcoholism.  That's what I'm dealing with right now.  That and having to support him because he is apparently too affected to be able to sign up for SSI and I am told I can't do it for him.   The sibling who did have his power of attorney while he was, as we believed, dying in the hospital, can't do that any more because he revoked it when he regained consciousness.  None of us has the resources to have him evaluated for his competence and, though he can't think clearly, he's not far gone enough for the law, apparently.   Between the alleged legal reforms in such things which pretend that people who can't manage their affairs can - the lawyers and judges and law makers who came up with those ideas aren't about to do it without money up front - and the reality of alcohol originating dementia,  this stinks.

And here I thought the last time couldn't be worse.  The cost of alcohol is highest for those left to pick up the pieces.  Tax it at a rate that pays for that.   I read an estimate, that cost comes out to about $2.50 a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment