Saturday, June 11, 2016

An Exchange From An "I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU ELIZABETH WARREN!" Thread at Mother Jones Mag

Summer Sailing  Anthony_McCarthy • 23 minutes ago
Hillary's direction will be to the right. Even her logo points to the right!


Anthony_McCarthy  Summer Sailing • in 2 minutes
"Even her logo points to the right"

How much like the call-in-radio Republicans who whined and complained when the personalized P in the early version of the PBS logo faced left, though to make it "face right" would mean that the P was backward. Much like your comment about the logo.




You mean Bernie Sanders' claim that he was doing a stunt run for president is a flop and he failed to "move the discussion to the left"? If he couldn't manage to do that why do you think he could a. win the election, b. manage to move politics to the left as president.

The Bernie or Busters are proving only one thing, that there is an allegedly leftist presence in the United States who have permanently and voluntarily moved themselves out of political relevance due to their insistence on not growing up or facing the fact that reality is real.

I think after the Bernie Sanders campaign, even a lot of his rational supporters are going to have to face the fact that we can't continue to manage a left while trying to work with such people because they will never grow up and don't want to and don't really care about reality. This is the third or arguably fourth such stunt candidate in the past half century who have gotten huge support from the allegedly leftist community and publishing industry only to have them risk putting another horrific Republican in office, previous ones are Nixon, Reagan, Bush II and now Trump.

The real left has to dump the Bernie or Busters because they are political poison.

And here's more from TBogg

A little over eight years ago, Naderite dead-enders were still refusing to admit that they had a hand in turning the keys to America over to undead thing Dick Cheney and his protege George W. Bush in 2000.  After threatening to go third party once again because that turned out so awesome, I wrote this under “Your Mumia sweatshirt won’t get you into heaven anymore“:

Every year in Happy Gumdrop Fairy-Tale Land all of the sprites and elves and woodland creatures gather together to pick the Rainbow Sunshine Queen. Everyone is there: the Lollipop Guild, the Star-Twinkle Toddlers, the Sparkly Unicorns, the Cookie Baking Apple-cheeked Grandmothers, the Fluffy Bunny Bund, the Rumbly-Tumbly Pupperoos, the Snowflake Princesses, the Baby Duckies All-In-A-Row, the Laughing Babies and the Dykes on Bikes. They have a great big picnic with cupcakes and gumdrops and pudding pops, stopping only to cast their votes by throwing Magic Wishing Rocks into the Well of Laughter, Comity and Good Intentions. Afterward they spend the rest of the night dancing and singing and waving glow sticks until dawn when they tumble sleepy-eyed into beds made of the purest and whitest goose down where they dream of angels and clouds of spun sugar.

You don’t live there.

Grow the fuck up.


Well, we’re right back where we started again, aren’t we?

Yes we are.

If you don't read the link it's in the context of the Bernie Busters shouting out how much they hate Robert Reich, and he's been a huge Bernie Supporter.

2 comments:

  1. Anthony, I'm quite a bit to the right of you on I suppose what are referred to as family life issues. We're probably more aligned on economics and the environment. I have no candidate I pulled for, and after some reflection I've decided to sit things out. Regardless, it really doesn't matter. I like you, I don't know that you'd care for me. I just look forward to your posts on materialism in particular. I think you point out a lot of the incoherence of its supporters. Last year I left you a link to a talk by David Bentley Hart which touched on consciousness. This time, more as a matter of trying to get you to calm down and take a breath, I suggest you search on YouTube for the name Gilbert's Degeimbre. You'll find a video of an interview with her subtitled in English. If for no other reason than distraction, watch the video. Listen to the lovely Waloon French spoken. The story is so moving and there is something so touching about seeing the now deceased Madame Degiembre describe what she saw, somewhere around the 22 minute mark. You might find some comfort and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but I like it hot. I don't think I'm the kind of person to calm down.

      I am primarily a political blogger and it is an election year. I am less convinced that the old linear placement of political positions means anything. For example, we were always taught there was a line from far right to far left, moderates at the origin of a straight angle and communists to the left and fascists to the right. I look at the results of communism and fascism, mostly in piles of bodies and people oppressed and enslaved and they don't look like they really belong on different ends of a line. I don't think that "moderates" or "centrists" are really at the center of anything but are just different in their orientation. I don't think that liberals in the traditional American sense of the word, people who believe in the moral rightness of equality, justice, economic equality are really much like liberals in the laissiez faire sense it's generally used in. I think that what most people call "liberal" or left these days produces an uninhibited inequality and indifference. I think back to when Bob Dole was running for president against Bill Clinton and I heard a writer from Kansas say that people in Kansas didn't care much about peoples' misfortunes, they just wanted them to stop whining and go away. So different from the Kansas liberals back when Calvinism was more influential, people who were equality absolutists.

      Anyway, I've got some fever or other so I'm probably not putting this very well.

      I hope to be writing more about problems with the idea of "brain only" minds because the more I think about it and the more I look into it the more problems there are with it and, since we are using our minds to think about these things, that's a huge problem for materialism. I think there isn't any surprise when Christian philosophers have found that materialism is a defective ideology, but there are also a number of atheists who are also coming to see that it is untenable, especially in its implications for the validity of science and, really, all of our thinking.

      David Bentley Heart is an interesting example of someone who is often taken as a conservative but who is also not what most people talk about when they say someone is a conservative. I think like the recent conservative popes, they are generally far to what would be considered the left in most issues, those of sexual morality not withstanding. I am, actually, accused of being a conservative about sex because I'm unwilling to ignore the moral problems that come with sex. Like Walter Beueggemann, I think it is one of the potentially most morally challenging venues of human activity and must always be considered in light of that.

      Delete