Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Blog Cliques Often Devolve Into Stupid People Reinforcing Each Others Stupidity And They Can Lead The World Into Darkness

Of course you people who read my blog know that I knew that posting that link to Mark Vernon and Rupert Sheldrake's  Science Set Free podcast yesterday would provoke the atheists who monitor this blog.  Thought I certainly would have posted it on its own merits if that weren't true,  I knew that they'd get into a swivet over it, and they did.  I can't claim to not see that as a bonus, I do like to push that particular button and watch the predictable response.

Also in the e-mail newsletter I get from Rupert Sheldrake, listing his recent activities and recommending things he's read and heard, there was a very good and, from what I gather, badly received speech which the science journalist John Horgan gave to a "Skeptics" convention.  I recommend it as well worth reading.  Even though I sometimes disagree with some of what John Horgan says, like one of my scientist-materialist-atheist heroes, Richard Lewontin, he's an honest person and I suspect even something of a kindred spirit.  He says:

I’m a science journalist. I don’t celebrate science, I criticize it, because science needs critics more than cheerleaders. I point out gaps between scientific hype and reality. That keeps me busy, because, as you know, most peer-reviewed scientific claims are wrong.

So I’m a skeptic, but with a small S, not capital S. I don’t belong to skeptical societies. I don’t hang out with people who self-identify as capital-S Skeptics. Or Atheists. Or Rationalists.

When people like this get together, they become tribal. They pat each other on the back and tell each other how smart they are compared to those outside the tribe. But belonging to a tribe often makes you dumber.

Well, I'm not a science journalist but I endorse most of that, especially the last paragraph.  I certainly have found it to be the case in online commenting communities, which can get stupider as they go on, or maybe it's just that anyone who isn't prone to stupid group-think drop out of them.

His discussion of various lapses in scientific honesty and practice, especially when motivated by the ideological program of materialists and anti-religious atheists, isn't something I haven't gone over before but it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who has noticed that, even skeptical science reporters have.

The organized "Skeptics" are and always have been a fraud, they aren't skeptical about anything.  They never question their own assumptions, they have absolute faith in what they believe in even as they deny that their belief is belief but declare it is knowledge.  They have shown themselves to be able to lie and commit fraud and to refuse to look at evidence and to admit what it shows when they see it as any other fundamentalists - and fundamentalists they are.  I would say that the current crop of anti-religious "Skeptics" are even more uniformly closed minded, anti-intellectual and dishonest about their motives and their behavior than many who fall in the category "evangelicals" and even many who might be called religious fundamentalists.  I think it's more likely that someone who seriously believes there is a God-given requirement to be honest and to question your motives to grow past that than materialists who don't believe they are required to do that, though the difficulty and emotional challenge of doing that is hard for any of us.

We disagree about a number of things but I agree with him that "Skepticism" is largely a fraud and the attitude they have is, actually, destructive of science.  His take down of Lawrence Krauss in his emergence as an ideological cosmologist says things I've been pointing out about that for about as long as he has (his links to his previous articles are well worth following up on).

And it should be noted that John Horgan is critical of the field of scientific inquiry that Rupert Sheldrake is often engaged in these days, Psi.   Sheldrake clearly isn't going to let that keep him from recommending that people read what he says.  Another thing that Rupert Sheldrake  recommended in his newsletter is a blog post by  Massimo Pigliucci, as he points out a big S Skeptic and atheist who is finding that his fellow ideologues are, in fact, anti-intellectuals and less open and honest than could produce real skepticism or even intellectual honesty.  He goes into the matter of Krauss and other heroes of the neo-atheist-skeptic movement.  I wish I could hear more of what Pigliucci has to say about the late Paul Kurtz, one of the biggest figures in turning pseudo-skepticism into a self-congratulating, anti-intellectual club of conceited, ignorant snobs.  The pseudo-skeptics are, ironically enough, leading us back into the same intellectual decadence of the worst of pre-scientific scholasticism, only without the intellectual standards they practiced back then.

I don't see, a. that science under the regime of the materialists is going to reform itself, or b. that these critics will be taken seriously.  I doubt that they will even really fix the wreck that peer review has become in the age of Big Science.   I believe that we are well into the materialist-atheist dark age, the unlightenment.  And the basic reason for that is because people have been sold on the idea that there is no sin, there are no moral obligations to tell the truth or to care about consequences.  A lie is as good as the truth if you can get what you want with it.  That is the result of this, even the few honest atheists and materialists are not going to save us from it.  That will have to come from outside of it.

5 comments:

  1. I have to admit, anyone who starts a speech telling the audience he's there to criticize them doesn't exactly inspire my interest, if only because it seems like a childishly knee-jerk attitude to take: who ever I speak to, I will tell them they are wrong!

    But when Horgan goes on to take a club to Dawkins (admittedly not exactly a difficult task), I had to keep reading. I agree with his distinction between "soft" and "hard" targets, but I have to say: shouldn't that be obvious to anyone with a college education?

    I mean, how weak are our institutions of higher learning that no one with a bachelor's degree understands those distinctions as fundamental? Of course, that's to bash Oxford, too (or wherever Dawkins was educated); but maybe it's not to bash education so much as to underline what I've often said: critical thinking is hard! And the vast majority of us prefer not to engage it.

    Which is why, ultimately, I come down on the side of the philosophers and the theologians and the scholars. Critical thinking is their bread and butter. But because it's hard, it's also dismissed as irrelevant or unnecessary.

    I would love to subject the skepticism of one "Skeptic" that Horgan spoke to, to the skepticism of Descartes, or Hume. They wouldn't survive the encounter.

    Probably wouldn't understand it, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't seem to have the knowledge of argument that we were taught in Freshman Rhetoric, I don't know if their universities exempted the sci-guys from that but it's clear they were not given anything like a liberal education.

      I think Horgan is so used to getting slammed by them - as can be seen in the links to his previous encounters with them - that he kind of takes the same pleasure in pushing those buttons. Admittedly, it's not a very high or admirable form of entertainment but I only resist it occasionally.

      Delete
    2. I shouldn't act like I'm better than he is. It's half the reason I comment at Salon.

      Delete
    3. They don't seem to have the knowledge of argument that we were taught in Freshman Rhetoric, I don't know if their universities exempted the sci-guys from that but it's clear they were not given anything like a liberal education.

      I think Horgan is so used to getting slammed by them - as can be seen in the links to his previous encounters with them - that he kind of takes the same pleasure in pushing those buttons. Admittedly, it's not a very high or admirable form of entertainment but I only resist it occasionally.

      Delete
  2. You've inspired me to sign up to Rupert's newsletter. I have a lot of respect for him, both as a scientist and individual - he seems very even-tempered and mild-mannered.

    I think the way he's treated by some members of the "establishment" and the more militant sceptics is shameful. Launching vendettas to get his talks and presentations banned...I never see any of the psi crowd trying to get public talks by the materialists cancelled. Hopefully that's because those in the psi camp respect the right of other people to have some level of a public voice, even though they disagree with what they think.

    ReplyDelete