Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Hate Mail - Muzak For Simples Only

Gee, if you're going to base judgement of musical quality on which albums have been #1 Jackie Gleason has to be high up there.  He had lots of #1 albums on Billboard, starting with Music for Lovers Only in 1953, I see from googling it that it stayed there a long, long time.  Of course that is if that's what you're basing your musical judgements on.  Me, I'd say it's strictly a commercial measure.

It's amazing how oozy it sounds in mono, even on the mp4.


Worth listening to just as a reminder of what that sound was like.  And also in case I ever forget why why I hate "My Funny Valentine" so much.  It is, actually, musically competent, achieving the effect it was done for.  Bobby Hackett was a fine musician.    I don't think I'd buy any of the top albums for any of the years I looked at to write this short piece but if it's what you like, it's not actually a moral issue.  It's not like they misrepresented the intentions of Beethoven or Brahms.

Update:  I don't have a TV and if I did the Republican Convention is the last thing I'd be watching.  And I don't drink, as you well know.   Well, you would if you weren't so self-absorbed that you don't remember anything.   I never played a drinking game, I could get drunk but I couldn't be bored.

1 comment:

  1. You're watching the Republican Convention and playing some kind of weird drinking game, right?
    :-)

    ReplyDelete