Friday, July 29, 2016

On Looking At Some Lefties At Linked In

It could be I invented a hobby I sometimes indulge in of looking up the colleges and, when I'm lucky, high schools where people went, people in government and the media, mostly.   It's something I'd probably not do except for the internet which makes it really easy to find out where a lot of such folk got to school, they generally like to brag about it.  I don't go looking to be impressed but to find out what institutions gave them their credentials and whether or not the kinds of social and business connections that people get from going to the kind of schools they love to brag about, I do it to find out what and who should take responsibility for producing them.  As you can probably guess, the ivys and a class I have come to think of as mivys (might as well be ivys) figure heavily into it.   I've come to see that every institution from the coprorate and media elites to the alleged alternative media are rather shockingly heavy with the product of the private, elite, expensive schools.  There was a time I'd have been surprised to find that such media venues, such self-appointed champions of the working class as Mother Jones, don't seem to hire the working class type to speak for themselves.   Considering who they hold up as the heroes of the left, many of whom never set foot in a university except, maybe as a janitor or other drudge, it is remarkable how they seem to hire people from their own class to do the talking.

I know for a fact that there are large numbers of very smart, very hard working, very talented people who graduate from public universities and some who don't go to any university at all, they seem to be rather shockingly absent from the rosters of writers and editors of some of the lefty magazines and websites.  Just once I'd like to see something where I could indulge in my hobby and find that none of them went to the ivys or mivies or those expensive little colleges that a working class kid would end up paying off their entire working life as a teacher or some other white collar working stiff.  Very abruptly, this election season, I've come to not trust those other guys to have a clue what's at stake and what they're talking about.  I'd rather hear us talk about our lives, by ourselves and for ourselves.

I do find that you're more likely to hear from the plebs on the religious left than you will on the "secular" left.

No comments:

Post a Comment