Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Walter Ross: Midnight Variations for Tuba and Tape



The composer Walter Ross, probably best known for his works for brass instruments, has self-published most if not all of his music on his faculty website, giving an enormously important opportunity to musicians who are interested in studying and learning his music.  It is a growing trend which I expect will become common for composers.   It is enormously generous to those of us who could never afford to buy the music we're interested in.  I found it when I was hoping to buy the score to his beautiful trombone quartet, one of his best known pieces.  I'm studying his etudes for two trombones, right now.  His music should be better known among musicians.

This is a piece that makes me nostalgic for the instrument and tape music of my relatively early adulthood.  You can read about it at the link below.

Score 

No comments:

Post a Comment