Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Hate Mail - What You Don't Know About Classical Musicians Is Pretty Much Everything

Having worked in classical music for my entire adult life and back into my adolescence, I think I could probably count the number of conservatives I encountered on one or at most two hands, with fingers to spare.   And that goes for the best of them as well as the most struggling of them.  I doubt you couldn't come up with quite a list of those people in rock and other pop venues who have, in the past or still, support the worst of Republicans and other conservatives.  Your hero, Mick Jagger, is one for that list.

Appearance: Dorian Gray's portrait trying to walk across a rope bridge in a gale.

Finally, we get to shake up Pass notes with some old-fashioned rock'n'roll rebellion. What has Jagger got up to this time? Sex? Drugs? Close. He's just publicly declared his admiration for Margaret Thatcher.

Ironically, right? Like when Brian Jones dressed up as a Nazi? No. Unironically, like when the Nazis dressed up as Nazis.

Fine. What did he say about her? "In the 80s or early 90s I met her a couple of times. I don't want to talk about what we talked about, especially now that everybody else is blabbing about her."

But? "But ... I was slightly surprised by all the people that were still so anti her and had all this residual resentment."

What? Mick Jagger is a secret Conservative? Who knew? Well, in fairness, probably everyone.

Lord Mick being a right-winger is no shock, considering what the messaging of his music has been from the start, "ME, ME, ME, ME, ME!" but, then, that's pretty much what rock devolved into.  You can contrast Little Milton's love songs which were all about loving someone else.

While Benjamin Franklin got it pretty much right that man who falls in love with himself will have no rivals, a man who gives other men permission to fall in love with themselves while walking all over other people will be a hero to them.  You would seem to be part of that fan club.

It doesn't come as any shock to me that he was a student at The London School of Economics, which was founded by a bunch of Fabian aristocratic assholes, to tie it in with recent posts.  Beatrice Webb ("I am the cleverst of the cleverest") Sydney Webb, George Bernard Shaw.....  I'm not surprised that the place would have had someone like him as a student or that he'd turn out to be a Thatcher admirer.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's got a lot more in common with Ted Nugent than you'd ever want to believe possible.

I am sure you can find some classical musician who might fit in with the same crowd but, off hand, I can't think of anyone in a similar position during my lifetime who would fit the bill.  I'd guess you'd have to look to some Nazis or the such to come up with much of a list.  And they'd be exceptions to the rule, even during that era.

My guess is everything you know about classical music you learned from Buggs Bunny cartoons.

Update:  Stupy, are you so far gone that you don't remember NOT having written what I'm responding to in this post?   Are you such an egomaniac that you can't even remember the stupid things you haven't said, making them yours?

Update 2:  Let me guess, that irrelevant pun was one you read written by someone else in some publication published in New York City.

3 comments:

  1. " I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's got a lot more in common with Ted Nugent than you'd ever want to believe possible."

    Unlikely -- Mick Jagger is a brilliant musician who's made some of the greatest pop records of the last fifty or sixty years. Ted Nugent is just a putz.


    "My guess is everything you know about classical music you learned from Buggs Bunny cartoons. "

    It's Bugs Bunny. One "g." Who the fuck doesn't know that?

    ReplyDelete


  2. I've played with brilliant musicians who I was disappointed to discover were wingnuts. It has absolutely zero relevance to their brilliance as musicians.

    Good lord, what he cretin you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Written by somebody who thinks that irony has something to do with his laundry.

    ReplyDelete