Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Carla Bley - Romantic notions 1. 3. 4 and 6

.



Emanuele Arciuli, piano

These are composed concert pieces, not improvisational compositions.  I believe they were commissioned by  Ursula Oppens to whom they are dedicated but my eyes hurt too much to look it up right now.  They remind me a bit of the pieces of Ben Weber for cello and piano but it's probable Carla Bley hadn't heard those, they're very seldom performed and I'm not sure they've ever been recorded.   The only of Carla Bley's set I'd heard before was #3 which Carla Bley played as a kind of prelude in a concert with Steve Swallow on a Youtube which I took to be a really marvelous piece of improvisation but which turns out to be a marvelous piece of composing of concert music.  I am looking for the music, I want to play them.

No comments:

Post a Comment