Friday, September 30, 2016

Dusan Bogdanovic - 7 Little Secrets #1 Played on a Glass Harp


Brian Engel, glass harp

I said that Dusan Bogdanovic was more than just a guitarist composer, that he was one of the best of living composers in any medium.  I would guess that much of his music could stand up when transcribed for other instruments, though I have to admit that glass harp wasn't one I'd have put on a list.  I love hearing people try things, taking a chance on things.

I will warn you that if you're like me and the volume is up it might make your teeth hurt.  That's something that a concert harp does to my teeth as well.   Headphones would be deadly.  I'm always divided between the ethereal potentially beautiful sound of glass harp music and that it makes my teeth hurt.

My musical complaint about it in the past other than that was that, like a theremin, it lacks crisp, varied articulation but Mr. Engel provides that.

It makes me wonder if you could put together one of these if you went to enough yard sales and thrift stores.   Though I would imagine the quality of the glass makes a big difference, that's just a guess. With a precise enough tuner or ear you could make it in equal temper or any other tuning, your possibilities limited by the number of glasses you've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment