Friday, September 16, 2016

Dušan Bogdanović - Toccata for guitar


Dusan Bogdanovic, guitar

I'm still getting snark about the Balkan heritage of Dušan Bogdanović, which I don't get at all.  Why should a Balkan composer not incorporate any musical substance they want to in their music?   It's not as if Gershwin isn't praised for doing that. even borrowing from Black Americans, or Prokofiev for borrowing from Jewish Klezmorim.   And the dolts who are snarking are so tin-eared that they don't get past the idea of that to hear that his music for guitar is, truly, original and pioneering.

I don't know.  Maybe it's because I've read several Balkan authors in Esperanto, untranslated.  I keep going back to the Croatian author Spomenka Štimec's Kroata Milita Noktlibro in thinking about Bogdanović music.

Speaking of Gershwin, here's Bogdanović's Blues


Denis Azabagić

I'll bet Gershwin would have liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment