Thursday, March 9, 2017

To My Trolls

Hey, I'm sure you're one of those people who figure H. L. Mencken had it all figured out, at least you did back in the 70s and 80s when quoting him was tediously fashionable.   I'm not all that impressed with him - he was a real jerk, but he did say a few things that were true, like this old chestnut:

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

only he didn't mention the ones that are lies as well.  That would be everything you say. 

Update:  Duncan Black is a writer for people who can't read and Eschaton is a blog for people who can't think. 

Update 2:  "Rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, in order to provide articles for people who can't read."   Frank Zappa

Update 3:  On the contrary, I believe I heard every Frank Zappa album up till about 1976 enough times to become very familiar with his stuff because one of the people I lived with was a huge Frank Zappa fan.  I have a very, very good memory for music, a memory for music was essential to being a music major in college.  I can even name who it was he copied in his concert music, pieces that some of his bigger rock-fans never heard.   I even heard the Wild Man Fischer album which was inexcusable.  I was never exactly a fan of his music but I know his music.  He certainly got rock "journalism" right, perhaps he was familiar with your stuff.

Update 4:  So he COULD have been talking about you when he said it.  I figured that.

3 comments:

  1. Wow -- recycling half-century old Time/Life jokes?

    Kudos, Sparky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh right, like you're such a Zappa fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I interviewed him once -- he was a putz. Plus he was the world's most boring guitarist and his orchestral music is academic crap.

    ReplyDelete